Friday, August 20, 2010

Introducing Amelia Jean!


I guess we were ready after all! Saturday I woke up at 6:00 hungry and crampy. I went downstairs to eat breakfast. After failing to fall back asleep, I decided to run some errands and did some shopping. My cramps were stronger and my back was hurting at this point, at rather regular intervals of 7 minutes apart.
Because I was still only 38 weeks pregnant, I think I was in denial that I may actually be in labor. I came home to wait for Jon to return from his golf game (knowing he doesn't get to play very often, I wanted him to enjoy the day). About 1:30 I couldn't take it any more - I was in pretty severe pain every 5 minutes. I called Jon and told him to come home...NOW. He was on the 16th hole...luckily he fought his urge to finish out his game and rushed home. I was hunched over the bed when he got there - I think we both realized it was time to go to the hospital.
After throwing last minute items in our bag, we made it to the hospital around 2:15. I was taken in for "observation" but it was pretty obvious to everyone I was in labor - and when I was checked I was already 5 cm dilated - I had done the majority of the labor at home. We were moved to our birthing room. When the nurse asked if I wanted an epidural, she didn't even have to finish the question before I answered, "YES!"
We rushed through labs so I would be able to get the epidural. If we had been 30 minutes later I probably would have had to go drug free (thank goodness Jon didn't finish his golf game!).
The anesthesiologist was my favorite person that afternoon - the epi worked wonders. After a couple short hours of labor and pushing, we welcomed Amelia Jean Molloy into this world at 5:37 pm. She was 5 lbs, 13 oz and 19.25 inches long and absolutely perfect. I was in love with this little girl before I even met her, and this has been a truly an amazing experience. Now I get to hold her in my arms...I can't take my eyes off her...and I'm excited for this new stage in our lives. Motherhood is unbelievable - exciting, joyful, scary and thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment