Thursday, May 27, 2010

I loathe my sciatic nerve

So for about the last week, I've been suffering from random, sudden surges of pain in my lower back and leg. Until yesterday, I was able to manage. Yesterday was another story. I've never experienced so much pain in my life (and yes, I realize I still have labor to look forward to :)

I knew it was going to be a rough day when I struggled to get my shoes on in the morning without searing pain. As I went to work and went about my morning, the pain continued to get worse. At the point where I was tearing up as I walked and when the ladies at work forced me to sit down (and offered to wheel me out on a chair!) I knew I needed to call my doctor.

I had been putting it off, because I knew more than likely it was my sciatic nerve from researching online, and I also knew that there isn't much doctors can do to help the pain - but I didn't know what else to do. Upon the advice of one of the nurses, I went home, put my feet up, used a heating pad, and didn't get off the couch the rest of the day. I woke up able to walk again (hallelujah) with limited pain.

I did go to the doctor today to make sure everything was fine - the baby and I both checked out very healthy, so no issues there. My doctor told me if I continue to suffer from sciatic nerve pain that she will refer me to a physical therapist.

I've realized today that yesterday was just a minor irritation in what has otherwise been an easy pregnancy. But it also made me realize that I need to slow down and not push myself too hard. I certainly don't want to relive what I went through yesterday, so I'm willing to cut back a little to make sure we all stay healthy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are feeling better! BTW I happen to know a great PT in St. Louis!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yes and he can probably recommend some stretches for you if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete